FDA Approved Dermal Filler
We only use dermal fillers that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA approves dermal fillers for certain uses, such as for anti-wrinkle treatment to improve facial aesthetics.
Cosmetic practitioners who provide FDA-approved dermal filler treatments should have the relevant qualifications, trained in medical procedures for dermal filler treatments, and offer only FDA-approved dermal filler products to ensure safe results. The FDA only approves dermal fillers once their effectiveness as an anti-wrinkle and skin restoring treatment is proven through clinical study.
What are Dermal Fillers?
- Dermal fillers are a form of hyaluronic acid, a substance naturally found in the body, that can be injected into the skin to add volume and elasticity to the skin improving facial contours, lines, folds, wrinkles and depressions that appear with aging.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
- Hyaluronic acid is a lubricating, clear substance produced naturally by the body. In the human body, hyaluronic acid found in the skin helps retain collagen, increase moisture, and provide elasticity and flexibility. The biggest advantage of hyaluronic acid is that it has a very high capacity for retaining water, capable of binding up to 1000 times its weight in water.
How do fillers work?
- As we age, the amount of hyaluronic acid our bodies produces decreases. The reduction in hyaluronic acid, means our skin is unable to retain moisture and begins to appear dry, wrinkled with loss of volume. By replenishing the hyaluronic acid, the skin is better able to maintain moisture, creating the appearance of smoother, more youthful looking skin.
How long does the treatment take?
- The appointment time is around half an hour. The injection process itself is 10-15 minutes but you will be required to complete a medical history and consent form and a full consultation will be given before the treatment goes ahead.
What results should I expect?
- Results will be visible soon after your treatment. After the first fillers treatment, you should start to notice the softening of facial lines and wrinkles. The lips will be noticeable plumper with an enhanced appearance in body and shape. The full result will be seen 14 days after the appointment when any swelling has subsided.
- If this is a first-time appointment for lips the results will be subtle and usually require additional treatment to see the best results.
- We only use the best fillers that have a built-in anaesthetic to reduce discomfort during treatment. An anaesthetic cream will also be applied to numb the area before the treatment takes place.
Are there any side effects?
- As HA is completely natural substance found in the body, there are very few problems associated with its use. They are safe, quick and non-invasive. Some people may notice minimal redness, slight swelling (mainly from the anaesthetic) and occasional bruising and itching but this is temporary and usually disappears in the first few days. If you are worried about any after affects, please contact us and we can advise.
How long do they last?
- This depends on each individual but generally between 6-12 months. Different factors can affect this including, fast metabolism, regular exercise, and smoking.
- It is not recommended for pregnant or women who are breast feeding. People who have an allergy to Lidocaine should not have treatment as this is the anaesthetic used to numb the area and contained within the filler. There are fillers that do not contain this ingredient, but the treatment would be much more painful.
- It is also important to remember that treatment can cause swelling, bruising and some tenderness so you should avoid having treatment close to important events or holidays that you have planned.
- You should avoid strenuous exercise and excessive UV exposure, avoid rubbing or touching the injection sites, avoid wearing lipstick or lip balm for 24 hours following your treatment. It is normal to experience tenderness and unevenness after lip augmentation, so you should make sure you follow the aftercare instructions to improve this.